Wednesday, January 6, 2010

It's Raining Furniture! - Pt. 2

Two months ago, I knew nothing about ranges (I didn't even know that's what they were called - I call them "stoves") but now I know just a bit more, enough to get me through an appointment with a sales person and not sound completely silly.  

Stepping out into the world of major appliances, we had no clue what type of range we wanted.  Flat top, coil or gas?  Convection or not?  Warming tray... whaaaat?  I didn't know these things even existed!  Isn't that a microwaves job?  So after many nights of online reading, here we are, almost ready to purchase our first range. 

What we did decide was that we wanted a slide-in gas stove with a convection oven.  I've heard horror stories about flat top ranges (perhaps it's just my mom's and mother-in-law's experiences that created my bias) so that had me running.  Also, I'm a soon-to-be avid cook, or so I tell myself, and I love love love to bake.  So, many people recommended a gas range.



We're still undecided about the above Whirlpool, but we're considering it.  It's within less than our budget and seems pretty impressive.  My only question is the convection oven part.  I hear different things about it... that it doesn't bake cakes, and things that rise, properly. 

Just when I thought we had decided...

1 comment:

  1. Hey.. I just thought to let you know that we have a convection oven and we use it mainly for doing suppers, heating foods. When we bake, we have a bake button to switch too so we don't use convection for baking. You may want to look into a stove that has multiple options. I just know that I really like our stove because it has a flat top (very easy to clean!!!) and we've had no trouble with it. However, my in laws have gas, and gas is great for cooking because it heats up sooo quickly!! Although, theirs is a pain in the neck to clean because of the coils. Kinda pros and cons on every side, just some thoughts for you!!

    ReplyDelete