Friday, January 1, 2010

His Mercies are New Every Morning

Today is Jan 1, 2010; another day the Lord has blessed me with.  What will I do with it?  Now, that's up to me.  In my hands, I hold the power to change that which is around me, or do nothing at all and let another day pass me by.

This year, my focus is to impart change.  It used to overwhelm me to think of all the many ways I could possibly change the world - petition against the latest whatever, invent the next million dollar gadget and give all the proceeds to charity, win the lottery, work full-time at a non-profit organization whose work I believe in... and the list rolls on.

Thinking about these things scared me, but making a change or being the change in this world does not entail that something big has to happen.  It certainly can happen, but it isn't a must.  Sending someone an encouraging card, offering a prayer, listening to a friend, simply doing something and being there for someone else may not seem like much, but it is.

My everyday small choices do make a difference, and so do my actions.  While my efforts may seem small, their overall impact can, and will, add up.  If you think about it, it's those small choices that make up the Christian life. It is those everyday actions that give our bigger achievements validity.  It's one thing to offer up a large sum of money to a charity that feeds hungry mouths in a 3rd world country (which in and of itself, is great), but if I am unable to support my friends in their daily walk, smile and show God's love to people who might not deserve or want it, is it real?

"Therefore, as God's chosen people... 
clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, 
humility, gentleness and patience."
- Colossians 3:12

No comments:

Post a Comment